Friend World Committee for Consultation (FWCC) is a Quaker organization that works to communicate between all parts of Quakerism. FWCC's world headquarters is based in NGO status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations Organisation. FWCC is responsible for the Quaker UN Office with bases in Geneva and New York .
FWCC was set up at the US,
"to act in a consultative capacity to promote better understanding among Friends the world over, particularly by the encouragement of joint conferences and intervisitation, the collection and circulation of information about Quaker literature and other activities directed towards that end."
FWCC has four section in addition to the world office in London:
- Africa Section, based in Nairobi, Kenya
- Asia and West Pacific Section, based in Hong Kong, China
- Europe and Middle East Section, based in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Section of the Americas, based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
In addition every three years FWCC organizes an international Triennial. The triennials are attended by about 175 representatives, appointed by the almost 70 affiliated yearly meetings and groups aiming to provide links among Friends. The 22nd Triennial will be held in Dublin, Republic of Ireland, with the theme "Finding the Prophetic Voice for our Time" in August 2007.
|Mexico||1985||Profundizar Más = Digging deeper.|
|New Mexico, USA||August 1994||On being publishers of truth |
|Birmingham, England||July 1997||Answering the love of God : living our testimonies.|
|New Hampshire, USA||July 2000||“Friends: A People Called to Listen, Gathered to Seek, Sent Forth to Serve”|
|Aotearoa/New Zealand||January 2004||“Being Faithful Witnesses: Serving God in a Changing World”.|
|Dublin, Ireland||11-19 August 2007||“Finding the Prophetic Voice for our Time”.|
*In 1991, the Fifth World Conference of Friends held on three sites - in The Netherlands, Honduras and Kenya – replaced the usual Triennial meeting.
As noted above, the second World Conference took place in Pennsylvania in 1937. The first had been held in the U.K. in 1920. The third as held in Oxford, U.K. in 1952 and the fourth in Greensboro, North Carolina, U.S.A. in 1967. It is proposed to hold a World Conference in 2012 in lieu of triennial gathering in 2010 .
- ↑ http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/ ECOSOC database of NGOs
- ↑ QUNO website
- ↑ Profundizar Más : ensayos para ayudar a los Amigos, y a las Juntas de los Amigos, a prepararse para la 16a asamblea Trienal del Comité Consultivo Mundial de los Amigos = Digging deeper : papers to assist Friends and Meetings prepare for the 16th Triennial Meeting of the FWCC. - Mexico : Friends World Committee for Consultation, 1985.
- ↑ On being publishers of truth : a discussion guide in preparation for the 18th Triennial Meeting of FWCC ... 1994 / prepared by Gordon M. Browne Jr. and Heather Moir. - London : Friends World Committee for Consultation, 1994
- ↑ Answering the love of God : living our testimonies : [documents, etc. from the] 19th Triennial Meeting, Friends World Committee for Consultation, Westhill College, Birmingham, England, 23-31 July, 1997
- ↑ Website for Triennial 2007 and official Blog.
- ↑ Documents in Advance of Triennial 2007, website cited above.
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Friends World Committee for Consultation. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with QuakerWiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|